June 5, 2021 10:00 am – 2:30 pm
Banton-Smith Center for Blacksmith & Metal Arts
2748 Dogtown Road, Goochland, VA 23063
Ticket Cost: $100.00
Tickets non-refundable unless cancelled by the school, county, or Instructor.
Come and join us for a blacksmithing class with Master Blacksmith Dan Boone. Dan hasn’t revealed the class project yet, but you can be sure it will be filled with blacksmith tips and pointers to add to your skillset. His style, knowledge, enthusiasm, and humor will inspire and take your forging to a new level. Don’t miss it!
Working with metal requires some precautions – substantial, closed-toed shoes are required. Cotton, wool, or other non-synthetic clothing is preferred – things like nylon or fleece can melt and stick to skin. Lightweight gloves are optional, we’ll teach ways to work with the metal that shouldn’t need gloves. Eye and Ear protection are required – we can provide it for $5.00 or you can bring your own.
Minimum age 18 (no exceptions please).
If you are buying a ticket for someone else, please let us know who will attend the class and provide contact information so we can best tailor the instruction for the class make-up and contact attendees if there required.
Bring your own lunch. We will take a mid-class break. We will have water.
The Board of Directors of the Central Virginia Blacksmith Guild and Banton-Smith Center for Blacksmith & Metal Arts has developed this guideline for resuming activities following the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Health (VDH) recommendations and the Orders of the Governor of the Commonwealth. We consider the safety and health of all who participate in our events and activities to be of the utmost importance and highest priority. We will continue to closely monitor the recommendations and orders and communicate with our members and the public as efficiently as possible. We expect and appreciate the cooperation of all who participate in our events and classes to protect the safety and well-being of ourselves and others.
• Instructor will arrive 15-30 minutes early to ensure anvils/workstations are the appropriate distance. The instructor will also disinfect commonly touched surfaces before attendees arrive.
• If you are not feeling well or have traveled out of the country in the last 2 weeks, please stay home.
• ALL people attending MUST sign in with name and contact information.
• Upon entering the building, temperature checks will be done and anyone with 100.4 degree or greater temperature will be asked to leave.
• Stop and wash hands at bathroom or hand sanitizer
• Everyone must wear a face covering/mask (The instructor may remove his/her mask during the class to be heard by attendees)
• Eye and ear protection must be worn in the forging area
• Attendees are responsible for providing their own PPE (Mask, Safety Goggles or Eye Protection, and ear protection)
• Avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth
• Regular Shop Rules apply
• The exhaust hood will run the entire duration while forges are operating.
• Maintain Social Distancing whenever possible (6+ feet)